On The Road
For December 2011
Kathleen Hudson
Let me know what you are reading, and I can tell what you are saying. I said that. “I’ll let you be in my dream if you’ll let me be in your dream.” Bob Dylan said that. David Shields, In his manifesto REALITY HUNGER, says that we can share fragments without giving sources and still give people a sense of reality. And we hunger for reality. Roland Barthes in LOVER’S DISCOURSES uses fragments with sources listed in the margin as a way to share the reality of love and language. I am reading Shields and Barthes, my two new mentors! I have shared these books with another friend north of me, and he has reminded me that as people who write about what we love, we are writing versions of “A Fan’s Notes.” I like that!
As a fan of Guy Clark: I attended his 70 birthday bash held at the Long Center in Austin on November 2 as a fundraise for the Center for Texas Music History. Rodney Crowell started off the evening with a story about Guy and a song; Jerry Jeff ended the evening by singing a new song by Guy and a story. What a night we had as I accompanied Rod Kennedy, founder of the Kerrville Folk Festival, where I first heard Guy Clark! Yes, you can have an entire evening of Guy Clark hit songs! His storytelling reflects the best of Texas songwriting, and his philosophy runs deep. “She ain’t going nowhere, she’s just leaving.”
As a fan of Michael O’Conner: I attended a house concert held by the Himmer’s and called Western Trail House Concerts because the house is located on the original Western trail that led north from Kerrville. His songs were passionate and real. His guitar playing has accompanied performers including Susan Gibson, Slaid Cleaves and Ray Wylie Hubbard. The evening reminded me why I keep running after this Texas music. Passionate authenticity!
As a fan of Luckenbach: For your dose of reality, I am sharing the responses, again, of some of my Texas music students. Next semester I am teaching the literature of American music! What fun this Schreiner reality is for me. My day listening to Walt Wilkings and Robyn Ludwig followed by the exquisite duo and unlikely team of WC Clark and Ray Benson was enriched by sharing this with 10 Schreiner students, many from the Greystone program, who had NEVER been real this way. Below are some comments:
Megan Toomey: As Ray Benson and W.C. Clark step up to play, the crowd gathers in anticipation a quick breath as the people standing up crowd closer to the stage. The resident roosters high in the tree cock-a-do-da-do to each other. With a quick joke to warm the crowd, these "brothers from another mother" begin to play. Soulful jazz, high country, rolling blues, they go it all. The crowd is of all ages, from grandfathers to little babes, all listen as these Texas legends do their thing on stage. Beer is prevalent in practically every hand, yet no-one is rowdy, all quench their thirst while appreciating the music in that fine Texas afternoon weather of around 80 degrees. One man, obviously a big fan, exclaims to the crowd, "this is the best song" before sitting down and listening attentively. Of to the side, a couple begins to dance, the music compelling them to move. Coming in together as a group, the students from Dr. Hudsons's class quickly hit the feedlot and grabbed a table. We slowly meandered off in groups of two's and three's as we experienced the quaint town of Luckenbach, soaking up the scene. Most of us would never have come of our own volition, yet once there, we were easily able to appreciate the atmosphere and quality of both the town and music. At the end of the day, as we came into campus, our experience could be quickly summed up in three words. "I enjoyed that"
Cheyne Kendall: As I walked around Luckenbach, I realized how relaxing this event was. Everyone I looked at had a smile on their face and a beer in their hand. It seemed like no one had a care in the world; no problems to worry about. Even with all the beers being put down, I didn't even notice one person acting too crazy. Everyone had respect toward the performer and other people around. There was a mixture of "regulars", where everyone knew who they were, and tourists, but the saying "Everyone is somebody in Luckenbach" has never been so true. The atmosphere is amazing there. The performers were even better. Luckenbach is definitely the place to go if you are looking for a good time.
Sam Badillo: My write up on our experience to Luckenbach begins when we first arrived and noticed a live bull posing for pictures. I immediately felt like I had made a wrong turn off the interstate and ended up in a wild western scene. I noticed the lack of diversity of the people around especially the motor cycle riders around. We ate and talked about a variety of things including greystone and the scenery. The one thing I noticed that not many noticed was the license plates of all the visitors from across the country. It proves the old saying true that everyone is someone in Luckenbach! Overall my experience was pleasant and would definitely go back.
As a fan of the visual: Enjoy the photos of Emily Bissell, another Schreiner student. Ils sont partis, down the road, and let’s welcome 2012 as a new start.
How wonderful that you started a blog! Have fun with it--and keep us posted about the power of music.
ReplyDeleteFinally getting on the blog scene. I love it. Look forward to more reading.
ReplyDeleteTry mine sometime. http://madreminutes@blogspot.com
We will walk together on this adventure in blogging.
Kindest regards,
Barbara†
@madreminutes
Wish I could have been there. I really miss Texas, and Texas music.
ReplyDeleteLinda Neal